Internet Basics and Beginning HTML
Welcome to the page of CNIT-131 Class!
You will find here the basic information about this class.
I will be teaching this class online
You will be receiving an email with more details about this class 1 week before it starts - you should check your Web 4 account to verify your City College email address as this will always be the email used when college instructors or staff communicates with you.
The required books and material for the class will be found in the online Learning Management System - Canvas - at Canvas website. All students officially registered in the course, will be able to access this website since the first class.
Students should access the course and participate in the first forum during the first week of the class, otherwise they will be in risk of being dropped! Students in the face-to-face class need to attend the first week of class or they might be dropped!
Expectations for online students:
- Read the material provided.
- Participate in the discussion forums often.
- Exercise thinking skills.
- Ask for help in the discussion forums when you need it.
- Submit work on or before the deadline.
- Recognize that you are more responsible for your learning in an online class than in a face-to-face class.
- Help each other whenever possible.
- Respond to discussions thoughtfully and thoroughly.
- Be present in the course.
- Don’t wait until the end of the unit to check in! Online learning requires you to check the course almost every day. Check to see what is going on and don't wait to do everything on the last day!
Below, you will find the required material for this class:
- Book (REQUIRED): Discovering the Internet - Complete 5th Edition by Jennifer T. Campbell - ISBN: 978-1-285-84540-1
Book (REQUIRED): Introduction to HTML & CSS
Author: Claudia Da Silva
Found at Smashwords.com ISBN: 978-1-311-88219-6
Price: US$ 3.00.
The other option for book #1 (Discovering The Internet) is to rent at Chegg.com, or Bookrenter.com, etc.
You will also be using the Hills server to upload your assignments when we reach the FTP and Intro to HTML & CSS parts. More instructions on how to access the Hills Server will be given during the class but you can also take a look at this document (CNIT Students' Accesses) and refer to the part related to Hills Server.
- FTP Software - There are different free client FTP software that you can download and install such as SmartFTP, WS FTP, Fugu, etc. You will use this software to transfer some of your work to your Hills account (Hills Server at City College). I recommend using Filezilla as it works in Windows, Macs and Linux computers.
- You need to have a web browser installed, it will be better, for testing your pages, to have 2 different browsers, preferably Chrome, or IE (Internet Explorer), or Edge, or Safari, or Firefox.
- Classes will be based on both books referred here and some assignments will be based on the readings from the books.
The syllabus will be available in Canvas when classes start.